Sunday, April 25, 2010

Gem in the desert..

I sit here wearing the same straps of the sports bra that kept me dry while I tackled the height of my mountain run this afternoon. I have replaced the cloth with a layer of aloe, but can still see the white straps the sun couldn't reach today; outlined by a rosy pink that should have been given a little more sunscreen. I have recently given back in to the love that I have for running. I began about a month ago getting my feet accustomed again by running the red flat sands of the desert. I discovered along the way that my sleepless nights are less when I pitter patter my feet to that three to four mile journey each day. I love the way the rhythm of my run leads to a night of peaceful sleep. I've thought of many things along the way after double knotting those shoes that just can't wait to take off. I've been everywhere from South Carolina to Texas in my mind as I run. Remembered heartaches and regretted mistakes even thanked the man upstairs in a breathless prayer a couple times for the things I've survived as my feet kept that steady pace. I discovered that running is part of me, an outlet for the things that crowd my mind. My legs and my "keep the pace" feet are starting to outgrow the little red sand route that I found in this barren desert. So today, I had to venture out and take the chance that I would never find alone, another path with more room for the things that trouble my weary mind. I say take the chance, because, it is a rare occassion that I ever find where I am intending to go; another flaw that I think about when I'm running; and another reason that I love it so, because there are no correct turns; you just run. I was lucky today, I found my gem in the desert on my first try. A path in the middle of some of the most beautiful mountains I have ever seen; here in this place that I have cursed since I moved in. I felt guilty for even having the terrible thoughts of my too close to Mexico home, as I ran between the mountains that ran into a big beautiful blue sky resembling the sea. I whispered a labored thank-you to the big man in the sky and held my head down in hopes that he would forgive the beauty that I overlooked, and I ran some more. I made it to the end, looked back at the new desert gem that I would treasure until I left this place, and I thought of how I just couldn't wait to come back to visit tomorrow. Life is so good when you finally find the treasure you've overlooked; and yes, even Mexico is quite beautiful when you take the chance to look around...

No comments:

Post a Comment