Sunday, August 28, 2011

"even if no one ever sees it"

I'm not exactly sure, but I think I probably ran across the fascination of "Facebook" about 2 years ago. Actually, now that I think about it; that was exactly when I joined the silly social networking site. As a matter of fact, I believe that is close to the time that I no longer fell sound asleep as soon as I turned in at night. I even think it was the same time frame that I started worrying if my life was exciting enough or if I was successful enough. I have to admit that some of the pictures that my "friends" posted of their too big houses and too extravagant vacations did have a way of making one feel too exhausted to even read anymore.

And the fact of the matter is that my "friends" actually were people that I barely could tolerate 10 minutes with in High School and sometimes even people that I knew I'd never met face to face at all. So a couple weeks ago, I actually took a minute and looked at the faces listed on my "friends" list and thought about how many of them I actually considered a "friend". The count was completed with just the fingers on my two hands. I went back and counted the "friends" that I felt I needed to "impress" and that completed the remainder of the list.

I'm not sure why we have the need later in life to prove to anyone how cool or successful we have become. I thought about the calmness of my life before deciding to share my moments with the "facebook" world. So, I decided to end this online social invasion of my life and I simply walked away.

I must admit, it took a few days to get used to not having the updates of when everyone was headed to their Dr's appts, lunch dates, first days of school, dreaded days of work, grocery shopping, hair appts or even when they were signing off to take a shower. I was certain that I would miss some of the entertainment of their busy sometimes even angry days....but you know what? I didn't.................

My phone was quiet as if I were hiding out in my own little world that no one could disrupt. I went for walks every day with my little girl and no one knew but us. We stopped half way and jumped on the playground swinging as high as the top of the tree and she laughed and giggled for no one but me. It reminded me of the days when I didn't even know facebook existed. Thinking about it now; I have albums with pictures of those days. They were days when we took pictures and had them printed out and sealed in albums so that we could pick them up and laugh at how silly we were while we munched on icecream with goofy sunburned noses.

Those were days of running to the ocean before anyone got there so that we could get the best spot. The days when the only important thing to remember was sunscreen and the cold watermelon that we got ready the night before. Simple times when happiness didn't have to be posted on a page to show the world how great your life had become. The days when it was "simply" wonderful even if no one knew it but you.

I am reaching for those days again my friends and the truth is....it's "simply amazing". The simple truth of the matter is that when we spend too much time trying to share our simple happiness with the world it can become exhausting. We can feel as if we are almost performing for those that will be watching. Our lives are just that my friends, "our lives" and if we don't stop spending so much of our time making it perfect for our "friends" to view........We are going to miss getting to view it ourselves. "Share" your moments with those that you love and that love you back not the audience that is waiting to "comment" on whether they "like" your simple life or not...For all that matters is this moment, right now, for us...in "our" life...and in "our" hearts even if no one ever sees it...

1 comment:

  1. LOVED this post! It is sooo true! Sometimes it is easy to forget the things that should never be forgotten. <3

    ReplyDelete