Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Just a closer walk with Thee...


I believe there is a point that each of us eventually reach where we long for something more. The time in our lives when we are tired of trying to match up to those that we consider a threat or that we have been a bit envious of for petty worldly reasons. The time eventually comes; well for the most of us; that we just want to be better and find the place that God has meant for us to reside. The place that is abundant with joy and little sorrow with rainbows and sunshine. However, when we start this journey, the truth of the matter is that sometimes there are a  million cloudy days with no chance of a rainbow or even an ounce of sunshine in site.  I'm learning more and more that this is just the Lord's way of determining if we just want to be with him on the days that offer warmth and happiness or if we are willing to trust in him on the days that are filled with dark clouds and endless amounts of depressing rain. I'm finding more and more that if we are patient through the storms, that after they clear the grass is greener, our vision is clearer and yes the rainbows are brighter then we've ever taken the time to notice; in the many sunshine days that he's blessed us with before. A closer walk with our Father is there for the taking; we simply have to ask with our hearts and he will plant himself right beside us every step of the way.

Even better news is that it doesn't matter what we've done in the past or the person that we were. The times that we were terrible to others and thought only of ourselves are behind us as soon as we ask him for his help and confess to him all of the things that we wish to leave behind us. I must admit, that this seemed a bit too easy for me as I pondered the things of my past while on my knees pleading to my Father to make a new person of me. I can remember feeling ashamed to bring my sins to him as I recalled the many times that I must have failed him and caused him to look down on me in sadness of my choices. But I did it anyway. I gave all of those many unfortunate mishaps to him and promised myself not to look back on them again. That's another amazing thing that I have recently learned my friends. All of our sorrows and stresses can be given to him so that we no longer have to worry our weary humanly minds. We just give them to him and simply trust that he will take care of the outcome. This can seem a bit overwhelming since we think that "we" have the best planned outcome for each situation; but I assure you; the outcome belongs to him anyway ; so the best thing we can do is just place it in his powerful hands...
Now, don't get me wrong; there are many challenges along the way. You see the world that we live in offers many opportunities to want to return to the unfortunate events that we took part in before asking our Mighty Father to rescue us. And our humanly nature craves a bit of those yummy sinful deeds that our mind has not yet been trained to not crave; it's kind of like the foods we eat day to day. The earthly goodies that man has made have the same effect on us. It's hard at the beginning to want to have an apple when there's a chocolate covered icecream in the freezer calling our name. Our bodies have eaten these things for so long that they have become the calling of our taste buds. The good news is that if we committ long enough to not having them; they will no longer be what our bodies demand. And if we do slip up every now and then on a special occassion; the good news is that a bit of cardio will erase the damage before our bodies have the the chance to add an extra pound. I like to compare this journey much the same way. If we decide to indulge in something that we know He will frown upon; we can ask forgiveness and for guidance to get us back on track. However, I'm learning that the best option is to call on him while your mind is having such thoughts and ask him to stop them before they even take place. "Just a closer walk with Thee, Grant it Jesus; hear my plea"

Just a closer walk with Thee, Grant it Jesus, Hear my Plea, I love these words and have found that in my countless times in trying to find my way to the Lord; these have helped me the most. The Lord was gracious enough to bless me with a voice that can melodically sing his praises. I'm not sure that I have been very grateful for this talent in the past and unfortunately have rarely used it to bring glory to him. I plan to change this and use it at every opportunity that he offers me in my new found journey. I recorded this song in my phone so that I am able to hear myself say these words daily. It's a great reminder to hear myself asking the Lord for the walk with him that I have yet to have. It seems to reach me more when I see myself there singing this beautiful hymn to him and I am reminded of the road that I wish to stay on. But should I sway and start to run off a bit; I know that it is his shoulder that will catch me. Life is beautiful my friends; but may we never forget that there is so much more after we are done here. I love you all <3

No comments:

Post a Comment