Monday, April 11, 2011

Oh how beautiful tomorrow looks....looking from today


I make plans today for weeks that are far in my future. I weigh food, count protein and carbs and log in hours of cardio and gallons of water on the charts that I make. It's how I ensure that I will be at my best to walk across a stage with a group of competitors that have chosen to show up on the same day.

I can tell you the calories, carbs, sugars and protein on almost every food that you would consider putting in your mouth. I can even break down how many pounds might be "floating" on your hips after your done if you want me to ruin the yummy icecream that your considering eating. I know all of these things because I've just studied nutrition and fitness for so many years of my life. I have mastered the ability to get a set of ripped abs, toned arms and a clean body with little toxins.

The body is such an amazing machine to me. I've lived in mine when it was heavy, too thin and even when it turned into a hard ball in front of me and housed a kicking baby girl. Which of course, I must share was the best moment in my life when I saw that "kicking baby girl" smile at me for the first time. It just reminds us exactly of the lengths our bodies can go to and the places it can carry us not only today but far in the days ahead.

A great physique in a crystal bikini with "too high heels" is the result of the discipline to maintain timely meals and millions of cardio minutes and strength training on a daily basis.

However, may we not forget the other reasons that we take care of our bodies for the days that have yet to come before us. May we prepare it for days when our not just ten years old little people want us to help them train to run as fast as the others on the track team or for the times when we have to spend the whole day with them swimming in the choppy ocean so that we can hang on to every year of their childhood before it slips away. May we be strong enough to one day walk down an aisle with them as we give them away.

Take care of your bodies my friends. It is but the shell of your heart and soul. It has many places to go that you have yet to even imagine. Places that will fill your hearts with joy so much you think they will burst. Your arms will be needed along this journey in many situations, keep them strong so they are ready to be filled; with happy smiles with sad tears and with weary heads that need a shoulder to fall on. Plan for the days that await you, increase your chances of being there for them, one little step at a time. Eat a vegetable, take a walk, lift a single dumbbell, but do something, anything to increase your chances of seeing tomorrow....for oh how beautiful it looks from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment