Friday, July 23, 2010

I sit here with a guilty conscience as I think of the almighty dance partner in the corner that I avoided this morning. I finished the workout that keeps my shoulders standing tall and thought of the 45 minute dance that I still needed to get in. I knew he was patiently waiting on my arrival, but I didn't even look his way. I just finished my last sip of water and tucked my worn gloves into the pocket of my "overly pink" gym bag. I headed toward the double glass doors and stretched like a lazy cat in the warm sunshine. I could feel him luring and the temptation was too hard to resist as I knelt to tuck the strings on my "ready to run" shoes. I seemed to glide down the paths of green trees that ran into the little bridge that led me over the small creek. My chest became lighter as I relaxed and breathed in the fresh air of the outdoors. I saw a couple rabbits cross my path and smile at me as they showed off the speed their little feet could endure. I felt like a slower version of one of them as I ran freely without a care in the world. I knew I would give in to this affair again and again. I thought of the metal partner in the corner that would miss seeing me every day and I ran some more. I knew I would betray him time and time again. I finally came to the end of my run and smiled at the distance I'd covered with my new adventurous love. I walked to my car and saw the drops start to fall from the sky and hoped that my partner in the corner would forgive me on days like this and take my hand for our regular dance. I knew in my heart that he would understand and take me back in as I grabbed my water and saw him dancing another partner to a fitter set of legs. I smiled as I watched the kick in his step as he taught this new dancer the dance that would lead to a happier life. I saw the sparkle in his eyes as he pulled this new partner closer to the goals that she a few minutes before thought she'd never meet. I smiled to myself that I'd left him to guide her through the beginning of her journey. Another partner in fitness in the making; I was satisfied as I thought of her possibilities. Fitness is a journey friends it begins with a single step that will be rewarded with a million more. Life is so good, fitness makes it longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment