Monday, November 29, 2010

"I'm sorry"...

Have you ever really looked at the words, "I'm sorry"? Did you see the glitter that surrounded each and every part of them? I'm not sure if I've seen it, but am certain that there must be glitter or a sparkle or something that makes them shine until they become absolutely "magical". It turns out that these words can be used in any case of fault no matter the degree and we are just supposed to drop everything and forget whatever it was that we were upset about...

I've heard- "I'm sorry", read, -"I'm sorry", and I'm certain that I have said, -"I'm sorry", more than my fair share. However, it wasn't until today that I really began to ponder what the strength of these magical words really are.

Heartbreak-We've all been there when those words that we didn't want to hear came out of the mouth that we didn't want to say them..."I'm sorry", but I just want to move on and get to "know" myself better. There hardly seems to be anything magical about these words at this particular moment and the only thing that they seem to deliver is a sting that we are certain may never go away.

The last piece of pie- Every now and then "I'm sorry", can be used simply as a substitution to "I'm quicker"; like the time when you were 6 and your 8 year old sister made it to the last piece of pie because you didn't make it to the kitchen soon enough. Once again, "I'm sorry" hardly seems sincere as you watch her polish off the last blueberry as it falls from the filling...

However, sometimes, every now and then we actually see a hint of something when we hear those two words together...

"I'm sorry", but your brother didn't make it...The only thing we truly remember when we replay the words to ourselves is "I'm sorry", and at that very moment; we see them there in our minds shining as tears fill our crying eyes...We sometimes even say them back to ourselves as we hold our heads in our hands, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry....

"I'm sorry", but there's no heartbeat..I've been there when the words have come from the mouth of a nurse with freezing hands as she told me that the little person with the big kicks in my belly -was no longer going to kick me..."I'm sorry", I can still remember her face and her mouth as she looked like she would rather say anything than those two words...magical, probably not; but I will never forget how they sounded at that very moment or anything else that was in that room including a set of the coldest hands I'd ever felt patting my hand..

Today, I read an "I'm sorry" from the greatest friend that I have ever known in all of my days on this beautiful earth. Once again, "I'm sorry", was an after thought that came right after a betrayal of trust. It shouldn't have provided any sparkles or glitter but should have been passed on once again as a mere chance to overlook wrongdoings. However, I saw them and they won't go away from my mind. They just sit there with their sparkling quotations that surround them. "I'm sorry"....

So, I thought again and it came to me, this magical set of words and what they really mean. You see they are set in the quotations " " of magical glitter to cover all of the things that we don't or can't say at the time that we decide to say them. "I'm sorry"......that I'm not your true love and we have to end this so that you can find the one that is....quotation, quotation, magical, magical..."I'm sorry"...that I ate the last piece of pie and now that I see your disappointed face; I have learned my lesson and will share next time..."I'm sorry" that my cold hands patting yours provide you with little comfort, but there must be a reason that God has decided this is not the time for you to have that bundle of joy...quotation, quotation..And finally, I saw them again sitting there in my email "I'm sorry"....that I sometimes do things that you can't understand but I truly hope you know that "I'm sorry" " " " "

And so it is after all....two magical words embraced by the arms of four shimmering quotations...to hold us up right after they are said; and to say the things that never were...So if this blog finds you encountering an "I'm sorry" tonight please look again before walking away...so you can see the things they didn't get to say...for they are there if you look again...surrounded by quotations...the words of a friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment