Monday, April 15, 2013

The Terror or Running

I am a runner; even as I sit here recovering from the foot surgery that I had last week, there is something that I still know in my heart and that's that I will always be a runner. As a matter of fact, I am marking off the days until I can lace up a pair of new sneakers and break them in with my new improved right foot.
Imagining myself gliding down my old familiar trails is so amazing that I can hardly allow myself to spend too much time indulging. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas; which in case you didn't know, will be in about 6 weeks for my excited feet. Pitter patter, pitter patter pat! I can hear their rhythmic sound in sync with my breathing already, Santa's on the way!
The love I have for running hit me hard when I woke up to the coverage of the Boston Marathon on my local news channel today. Great, I thought to myself, "I'm in a cast on the day of the Boston", not a good way to feel motivated on a Monday. My heart ached as I saw my fellow North Carolinians making their way to mile 23 with that familiar worn out but happy runner's high smile on all of their faces. I was envious for sure. I'd never been fast enough to qualify for Boston in my consistent years and here I was at 39 laying on the sofa in a cast, ouch!
I made a pat with myself at that very moment to train for Boston when my foot got back to 100 percent; lots of people run Boston at forty. Yep, it's a promise and I shook my own hand and rolled my eyes at my bandaged foot and the runners running across my screen........but then......I cried and prayed for those very same souls that I'd just wished to be. I couldn't believe my eyes when I heard the loud bomb and the sound of the voice in the distance yelling, "Oh My God", "Oh My God"!

A bomb at the finish line of the Boston Marathon was all I heard the news anchor state. Two dead, many injured. I felt guilty, I felt sad, I felt so blessed to have my foot wrapped up in a cast with no possibility of being there; and that made me feel guilty again. I saw the disappointed, confused and freightened faces of my fellow runners and the loved ones that supported them on the sidelines and I just cried...

I cried for the ones that lost their lives for no reason at all, and for the ones that came to accomplish a goal that probably took them years to accomplish. My heart broke for the love ones that they carried away in wheel chairs to unfamiliar hospitals only because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time; a place on the side of the finish line to see the ones that they loved smile as they crossed over. This was unreal, beyond sad and unfortunate. God be with them, all of them, the families, the law enforcement, soldiers, fire dept and all of those that are the assisters in this great, troubled nation and Dear God please be with the runners and keep their feet pitter~pattering until the pain of this day is less.

No comments:

Post a Comment