Monday, August 16, 2010

I sit here with a hollow heart and a grumbling tummy as I write you this afternoon my friends. I'm sad to say that I indulged in a few "I've gotta have something, sweet tooth treats yesterday" that have made me feel less than the superior athlete today. I must admit though, that the usual five high protein low carb meals of my normal diet are on track today.
I'm not sure what happens to make our normally disciplined bodies partake in such garbage from time to time. It's amazing how the person from earlier years can just show up any given Sunday and hi-jack the "I will never eat sugar" perfect being that we know we all are today. It amazes me how we will make deals with our mind and swear to a week of hour a day cardio sessions just to enjoy a little more sugar than our deprived rippled physiques need.
So, that brings me back to the guilt the day after, pretty high up there with a convicted felon or at least that's how you feel when you think about the calories that will now put you behind on your goals. I like to think of myself as a problem solver and so to get over my sugar rush yesterday and walk away from another sugary treat; I decided to write my next column on hidden sugar. I grabbed a bottle of spring water, made my way to the computer and began to research sugar and the different foods it's hidden in.
I was amazed and I slowly forgave myself when I learned of the sugar the average human being consumes every single day. Wow, I am a disciplined rippled machine; my conscience felt better the more I read. The average American eats 156 pounds of sugar a year-at least double what health experts recommend. I stood a little taller in my seat when I realized that even with my "slip up" I was far beyond average. I finished my bottle of water grabbed another and laced up my sugar burning sneaks and pitter pattered until I felt the sugar leave my body. I came to the end of my run wiped the sweat from my sugary brow and smiled at the thought of the taste of yummy chocolate...I realized that an occasional sugary treat is nothing but a moment in life, a chance to live and enjoy...Life is short friends, just run it off and get back to what you know the next day...Fitness is so good, but let's not forget the rest...

1 comment:

  1. This is definitely a problem I struggle with. Guilt after eating something so good but so bad for me....nice to know that you treat yourself too. :)

    ReplyDelete